Individuals requiring behavioral health care often have a need for highly integrated care as they can be more dependent on the healthcare system and providers who coordinate care. Through HealthShare Exchange (HSX), behavioral health and physical health providers work together on behalf of the patients they serve to help avoid unnecessary readmissions and provide more informed, coordinated care. HSX currently has 7 behavioral health organizations as members who work to exchange data with hospitals and other ambulatory providers.
- Direct Secure Messaging (Direct) / Provider Directory (PD)
- Point-to-point exchange of clinical information between providers using the national Direct Project standards — included, but not limited to, sending of continuity of care (C-CDA) documents with discharge information and referrals for transitions of care. HSX can offer direct addresses to providers and organizations as needed.
- The HSX PD contains more than 10,000 direct addresses for healthcare providers who actively participate with HSX for direct messaging; interoperability testing is completed before providers’ direct addresses are added to the PD to ensure behavioral health organizations can engage with Direct in a meaningful way.
- Automated Care Team Finder (ACTF)
- With patient consent, HSX can use the patient’s member identification with his or her healthcare insurer to identify the patient’s primary care provider and route continuity of care (C-CDA) documents, containing discharge information from behavioral health organizations, leveraging the HSX Provider Directory.
- Encounter Notification Service (ENS)
- Behavioral health providers can subscribe to panels of patients and receive timely notifications when their patients are hospitalized or present to an emergency department and then are subsequently discharged.
- Patients must give consent to in order to be subscribed for by behavioral health providers.
- Encounter Notification Service (ENS) Overview
- Clinical Data Repository
- Collects and retains medical-records data about patients, permitting a patient’s provider and/or care-team members to query for clinical information.
- Authorized users have the opportunity to access the CDR through the HSX query portal or through EHR integration.
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) Overview
Through HSX services, behavioral health organizations can:
- Easily communicate electronically with peer providers by gaining access to our robust provider directory
- Receive timely discharge information about patients
- Enhance care coordination efforts by knowing when patients present to or are discharged from HSX-member hospitals
- Access patients’ longitudinal health records to provide informed treatment plans and decisions