Participating and founding HSX member Independence Blue Cross, the Delaware Valley’s largest healthcare insurer, rolled out a multi-level initiative on member/consumer education and COVID-19 benefits.
Messages aimed at patient and general-public education through a variety of media outlets included a series of video advisories. One televised spot, widely aired in the region, featured HSX board member (and founding emeritus board chair) Rich Snyder, MD, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, for Independence. On the importance of using teleconferencing for appointments when possible, Rich reminded everyone in the medical service area that “Much of the care you'd receive in-person can be done with telemedicine. Call your doctor. Take advantage of telemedicine. That's one way you can limit exposure to COVID-19 for yourself, the community, and our valued caregivers.”
To aid telemedicine visits, HSX-participating physicians have the resource of tapping in from anywhere to HSX’s Clinical Data Repository for information aggregated from throughout the region on patients’ recent medical histories.
The Independence messaging also reinforced:
- extensions of approvals for authorized services and care
- guidance and expanded benefits for maintaining mental and emotional health, including Independence’s work with the City of Philadelphia to raise awareness about mental health through the mindPHL campaign.
Independence enhanced benefits to members include:
- waived copays on COVID-19 testing
- free coverage of telemedicine visits with members’ primary care physicians
- coverage for telemedicine for primary care, specialist care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and nutritional counseling, behavioral health, and autism-related ABA (applied behavioral analysis) services
- free same-day appointments 24/7 with a doctor on MDLIVE
- waived member cost share on acute inpatient COVID-19 hospitalization.
The outreach theme that Independence Blue Cross used — “Together, we will beat COVID-19” — included a message from the Philadelphia Phillies on beating the pandemic.